Friday, May 8, 2015

3 Meals: 5/8/15

Breakfast quinoa:
I can't find my source, so I'll just type it up with my modifications.



1/4 c quinoa
1/3 c coconut milk (any milk will work, the coconut just sweetens a little)
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp nut butter
Any fruit you like

1.  Bring coconut milk and quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan.
2.  Reduce heat to low, add cinnamon and vanilla, mix together, and cover saucepan.  Simmer until most of the milk is absorbed and quinoa is softened (I found after it boiled most of the milk was gone, so I added about 3 T for this part).  10-15 mins.
3.  Pour into a bowl and swirl in your favorite nut butter and some fruit.  We used banana and it was delightful!

The original recipe calls for a swirl of honey as well, so I put a tiny bit of maple syrup in the babies.  I found it to be too sweet with the ripe banana, so I cut it in my portion.
Butternut Squash Mac N Cheese
http://lunchingdaily.com/recipes-2/butternut-squash-mac-and-cheese/

Modifications:
I cut out all the salt and used organic baby food puree as a shortcut.  :)
Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad
I can't find my source, so I'll type it up with my modifications.

3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c pecans or walnuts, finely chopped
1/3 c granny apple, diced small
1/2 c dried, reduced sugar Craisins
1/2 a shallot, minced
1/3 c greek yogurt (I'll be honest- I just eyeball this till it's wet enough)
2 T mayo
2 T apple cider vinegar (this gives a nice flavor)
Dried dill

1.  Salt and pepper chicken breasts and cook at 375 for 35 minutes, or until cooked through.  Set aside to cool.
2.  Once cool enough, shred chicken breasts.  Try your stand mixer- 45 seconds! https://instagram.com/p/2EOmqEpmwS/?taken-by=blwfun
3.  Mix together greek yogurt, mayo, dill (to your liking) & apple cider vinger.
4.  Combine chicken, nuts, shallots, green apple, and Craisins. Toss with dressing until well combined.

Chill for a little while before serving.

0 comments: