Wednesday, June 17, 2015

3 meals: 6/17/15

Apple Cinnamon Donuts
http://joythebaker.com/2013/10/apple-cinnamon-baked-doughnuts-with-brown-butter-glaze/


Modifications:
Whole wheat flour, coconut sugar, half the amount of nutmeg (1/4 tsp), no salt, and no glaze.

And to be honest- I love brown butter, but my babies palates are less discerning, so I just did 2 T melted butter instead of browning the butter.  :)
Turkey Stroganoff
http://jaredandcyndi.blogspot.com/2012/01/ground-turkey-stroganoff.html


Modifications:  garlic powder for garlic salt, no mushroom stems/pieces, yogurt (not sour cream).  I served on whole wheat egg noodles.  
Shepherds Pie:


Modifications:  no salt

So you can def make this as is, but here are things I've done that still work fine:
-I forgot to put the egg yolk in the potatoes.  They weren't as creamy, but it still worked.
-I used beef vs lamb.
-I add a crust of cheddar cheese on top.
-I used dry spices vs. fresh (just a tiny sprinkling of each thyme and rosemary).
-I used 1 tsp garlic powder instead of fresh.
-I subbed buttermilk for half and half because I needed to use some up.
-I used vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.

For adults you'll need to add salt.  The potatoes need it (IMO).  

0 comments: