Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Apple Cinnamon Donuts

This post deserves some love, and I'll get a purty picture up when I have a chance, but it's MY FIRST RECIPE!  Like, mine, not modified from anyone elses! :)

I was looking for something fallish, and I love donuts/muffins as an easy grab for breakfast.  Pumpkin is really expensive here, and though I'm sure I'll cave and get some, or get one of their huge pumpkin like gourds to roast myself, apple cinnamon did the trick for a fall feel.

So here ya go- my first recipe!  These turned out so soft and moist, and I was pretty impressed with the subtle apple flavor.  There's a delicious apple aroma as they bake and the flavor didn't disappoint.

Apple Cinnamon Donuts

1/2 a cup of butter, softened
1/2 c coconut sugar (any sugar will do, but I prefer this to white refined)
1 egg
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 a cup of 100% apple juice (no sugar added)
1 whole apple, cored and grated (I didn't peel)

Preheat oven to 350 f/190 c.

1.  Mix flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl.
2. In a large bowl, blend the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, around 3 minutes.
3. Add the egg and beat an additional minute.
4.  Add in the flour a little at a time, alternating with the juice until fully encorporated.
5.  Mix in grated apple.
6.  I let my batter sit for 20-30 minutes.  The whole wheat flour is not as pulverized here, and I find it helps with the moistness of the batter.
7.  Fill greased mini donut tins (or mini muffin tins) 2/3 of the way full.  Bake for 15 minutes, until donuts are golden.  *Note:  I find filling a piping bag with batter and piping it in to be the easiest way to fill the pans.

This recipe yielded 36 mini donuts.

0 comments: