Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Corn and Cheese Enchiladas

Corn and Cheese Enchiladas:
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/corn-cheese-enchiladas

I made these pretty much exactly like the recipe calls for.  HOWEVER, I attempted to double the recipe (in the end I had a little less corn, so I got 10 enchiladas vs 16-- but even with the amount of corn called for, I think I'd only get 14ish).  I also used white cheddar vs pepper jack.  We can't get pepper jack here anyway, and I'm not sure they babies would eat it.  Also, I was curious when reading the recipe how the milk would thicken as it boils, since there was no thickener added.  Sure enough, it only thickened slightly, so after 10 mins of simmering, I added a bit of flour (2 T ish?) and it thickened up right away.  Arrowroot powder is a good substitute for cornstarch as well.

10 minute enchilada sauce:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/61727/ten-minute-enchilada-sauce/

I did modify this one, and next time I'll try less oil, or maybe try half coconut oil, half butter.  Or maybe I'll dabble with ghee, since it's pretty available here too!

With modifications:
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/4 c flour (I used whole wheat)
8 oz tomato sauce (we can't find it here, so I get canned chopped tomatoes and blend them)\
1 1/2 c water
Spices to taste:  chili powder (I was light on this one because of our previous rejections of spicy foods.  Maybe 1/8-1/4 tsp), cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt (use sparingly, the cheese in the enchiladas also has a lot of salt).  

0 comments: